Get hype for OSB, it’s less than four weeks away!
Happy (almost) Halloween! I hope you all had fun at our Halloween party last weekend, it was great to see your creative costume ideas! Here’s this week’s announcements:
- Get hype for OSB! It’s almost time for the most important competition of the year: the Ohio Star Ball aka Nationals!!! This two day competition takes place in Columbus, OH on November 23rd-24th and it’s the best weekend of the year! The deadline for registration is November 9th, so look out for more info coming soon from your wonderful Away Comp Chair/sexy plague doctor Natalie! If you forgot to fill out the OSB interest form (shame shame shame), please fill it out right now so we can start planning for the big weekend!!! Questions about OSB? Ask your ballroom buddy or your lovely Away Comp Chair Natalie (natfox)!
- Partner search: Still looking for a partner for OSB? Don’t you worry ’bout a thing, we’ve got you covered! If you’re searching for a partner for OSB, you can post your info on this spreadsheet to let other team members know you’re looking. Please note that entering your details on the spreadsheet doesn’t mean we will find you a partner, it’s your responsibility to use the sheet to contact potential partners! We’ll also have another in-person partner search next week.
- More competitions! If you want to compete before OSB these are your last two chances! The deadline to sign up for both these comps is this week, so don’t miss out! Check your inbox for emails from Natalie for more info, but here’s a quick rundown of the essential details:
November 2nd: Badger Ballroom Classic
Registration, Rooms and Rides and payment ($45 entry fee per person) are all due on Monday October 28th. Don’t be a jerk and make Colin hunt you down for payment – there will be a $10 late fee on any payments made after the deadline. Pay the team, do not pay on the competition website!!!
ROOMS AND RIDES (DUE Monday OCTOBER 28TH @ 11:59PM)
November 16th: Purdue Ballroom Classic
Registration, Rooms and Rides and payment ($50 entry fee per person) are all due on Thursday October 31st. Don’t be a jerk and make Colin hunt you down for payment – there will be a $10 late fee on any payments made after the deadline. Pay the team, do not pay on the competition website!!!
ROOMS AND RIDES (DUE Thursday OCTOBER 31st @ 11:59PM)
We traditionally refuel after a long day of dancing at OSB with a huge team pasta dinner! PC Lizzy Xiong
- Bone Marrow registry: A campus ambassador for Gift of Life Bone Marrow Registry has asked our team if our members would like to be added to the registry. They are working to get as many students in the registry as possible to maximize the chances of finding matches to save lives! Their overall goal is to eliminate blood cancer completely by getting everyone in the registry. This is a a great philanthropic opportunity for everyone. They will come to DTS on November 4th to swab any interested members. They just need to swab the inside of your cheek to add you to the registry, and being added to the registry is not an obligation to donate bone marrow! You will only be contacted if you are a match. Please fill out this form by October 31st if you plan to come on November 4th so we can get an accurate estimate of numbers.
- John Durbin: Please help us honour the original owner of DTS, John Durbin, by donating a few dollars to his memorial fund! John was a very important person in the history of our team: he is the reason that we are currently allowed to use DTS to practice and so our team would not be the same without his generosity. If everyone on the team contributes a few dollars we will be able to make a substantial group donation to the fund as a way of saying thank you for being able to use DTS for so many years! You can donate online here until this Friday (11/1). Thank you!
- New Facebook group: because our old Facebook group was causing a lot of people difficulty to join, we’re migrating to a new group! We’ll be posting in both groups for the next couple of weeks, but after that the old group will be archived. Check out our new group and request to join here – no umich email required yayyy! Don’t forget to also follow us on Instagram @michiganballroom for way more cute photos than I can fit in Week at a Glance!
Wisconsin competition registration, rooms and rides and payment deadline!
7-9pm: Bronze American lesson (open to A-PreC teams). There will be a silver American lesson (open to A and B team) next Monday 11/4 7-9pm, look out for an email from Madeline this week to sign up!
9.30-11.30pm: Open Practice at DTS
9-11pm: Newcomer review lesson in CCRB 3275
10pm-midnight: Open Practice at DTS
9.30-11.30pm: Open Practice at DTS
Purdue competition registration, rooms and rides and payment deadline!
Last day to volunteer to join the bone marrow registry, sign up here!
9-11pm: Open Practice in CCRB 3275! There won’t be a formal newcomer guided practice this week, but there will be upper level team members at the CCRB so feel free to ask them questions 🙂
No DTS, come to the CCRB instead!
Last day to contribute to the John Durbin Memorial Scholarship to thank DTS for allowing us to use the space! You can donate online here, it takes two minutes!
Good luck to everyone competing at Wisconsin!
4.30-6pm: Newcomer lesson with Steve and Susan! Returning members, come and practice your waltz/samba basics and help out the newcomers!
No club this week 🙁
There’s a lot of people on this team, to help you get to know everyone we’ve made a handy guide to who’s on which team. First up this week, here’s Pre-C Team!
Nathan and Autumn
Nathan is a sophomore with an undeclared science major.
Autumn is a sophomore majoring in biology.
Christopher and Margaret
Christopher is a junior majoring in computer science.
Margaret is a senior majoring in computer engineering.
Joshua and Tiffany
Joshua is a junior double majoring in Arts and Ideas in the Humanities and International Studies.
Tiffany is a sophomore majoring in Biology, Health, and Society.
Jeren and Athina
Athina is a second year master student studying industrial hygiene.
Jeren is a junior studying mechanical engineering.
Daniel and Tara
Tara is a senior majoring in Business and Sociology.
Daniel is a senior majoring in Environmental Science.
Can you spot the real Neil and Lizzie?