I hope you all had a refreshing break and are ready for a jam-packed semester full of dancing shenanigans with your ballroom family! Here’s our announcements for the first week of the semester:
- Recruitment help needed! We’re about to kick off our winter recruitment period with our first free lesson this Saturday after tryouts and we need your help to welcome new members to the team this semester. Our greatest asset is our wonderful current team members who welcome newbies and convey their infectious enthusiasm for dance! Winter semester recruitment mostly happens through word of mouth, so your participation is especially important 🙂
Here’s how you can help:
Step 1: Share our Welcome Week events on Facebook and invite all your friends here.
Step 2: Attend our first free welcome week lesson on Saturday (details below), dance with the newcomers and tell them why ballroom is the best club on campus!
- It’s time for tryouts, get hype!!! See the separate email I sent out last week for more details on what tryouts are and how to sign up. If you have never participated in tryouts before, I highly encourage it! Tryouts are a great learning experience and you can only gain from participating, as you’ll have a chance to win a spot on one of our tryout-only teams and benefit from smaller class sizes, more personal attention from our coaches, and the chance to learn way more about dancing than we can cover in newcomer lessons – who doesn’t want to learn some fun advanced moves or how to fix that infuriating step in the foxtrot? The deadline to sign up is 11.59pm on Wednesday, January 8th. Note that both partners must read the doc and complete the sign-up form separately.
- More tryouts: Reminder that you must pay your $60 winter semester dues and settle any outstanding debts you owe to the team from last semester in order to try out: check your inbox for Colin’s spreadsheet to find out if you owe any money.
- DTS resumes normal schedule. Unless otherwise noted on the calendar, come practice at DTS at the normal times.
Looking further ahead…
- Get hype for Arnold! Our biggest comp for the winter semester is less than two months away! The Arnold Ballroom Classic will be March 7-8th, which is the last Saturday and Sunday of spring break. Not only is this competition as big as OSB, the points we earn from Arnold add on to our OSB score next year, thus making it essential for defending our national championship title. Be sure to save the date and plan your break so you can dance for the Terminator himself, who makes an appearance every year in the ballroom!!!
- Save the date for MichComp! Your fabulous Home Competition Chair Corey has been hard at work preparing for our very own competition, which will be held on April 4th at Pioneer High School. Putting on MichComp is a whole team effort, stay tuned for more details about how you can contribute 🙂
The hype train for winter recruitment is ready to leave the station! PC: Jack Boezwinkle
9.30-11.30pm: Open Practice at DTS
10pm-midnight: Open Practice at DTS
First day of classes! Wear your apparel to represent the best team on campus and use ballroom as your fun fact for those awkward first day of class icebreakers! Best of luck on the beginning of a new semester 🙂
9.30-11.30pm: Open Practice at DTS
8pm-midnight: Open Practice in the League Ballroom! Practice your standard ready for tryouts!!! There will be a mixture of rounds and open practice space.
No DTS, come to the League instead!
Celebrate being done with your first week of class! Grab a coffee with one of your teammates you missed over break 🙂
2-2.30pm: Warm up for tryouts in IMSB Multipurpose Room A
2.30-4.30pm: TRYOUTS in IMSB Multipurpose Room A! Dance your hearts out and don’t forget to cheer on your fellow teammates! Best of luck to everyone!
4.30-6pm: First free Welcome Week lesson in IMSB Multipurpose Room A, with Steve and Susan!!! Wear your apparel, dance with the newcomers and tell them all about how awesome ballroom is!
Club is in the League Ballroom this week, check out their website here for more info. This week Club is kicking off the new decade with a Roaring Twenties theme, so plan your outfit accordingly!
|5-6pm:||20s Social Dance Lesson (TBD)|
|6-7pm:||20s Social Dance Lesson (TBD)|
|7-9pm:||Roaring Twenties Open Dance!|
Best of luck at tryouts everyone, and good luck with the first week of class!