Who’s ready to dance under these lights again?
Get hype for OSB, we’ve got less than two weeks to go! Read on for lots more info to help you prepare for the big weekend…
- Final call for Rooms and Rides/payment! These were both due last Saturday, so if you have not done them both please do so ASAP. Here’s the link to Rooms and Rides, each person in a partnership needs to fill out R&R separately so we can organize rides to the competition and hotel rooms! Pay your $80 registration to the team ($40 if you joined in January 2019 or later) in one of the following ways:
- Venmo to @UMBDT (preferred)
- Check: made out to “Ballroom Dance Team”, give to any board member
- Cash: give to any board member, be sure to get an email receipt
- PayPal: friends and family to email@example.com, expect a fee
of ~3% if you haven’t linked your bank account
- Card: find the team treasurer Colin or president Lizzie, 3% processing fee
Please don’t be a jerk and make Natalie and Colin chase you down! There will be board members at the League practice space on Monday and DTS on Tuesday to accept payments by cash or check. Colin will be available to take card payments (plus cash/check) at Tuesday’s newcomer lesson. The late payment fee will kick in at 11.59pm on Tuesday night so make sure you pay by then 🙂
- Hair and makeup workshop: After a quick newcomer review lesson 9-10pm on Tuesday, Corey will be running a competition hair and makeup workshop from 10-11pm in CCRB 3275 to help you get ready for OSB! Colin will also be running a short workshop on competition hair for guys at the same time. Newcomers and returning team members are all welcome to attend! If you own any hair styling items (hairspray, gel, bobby pins etc.) or any makeup, please bring it to the workshop so you can practice! Can’t make it on Tuesday? Check out these video tutorials from team alum Katherine Hamilton! You can also ask your ballroom buddy for advice 🙂
- Competition packing list: Check out our competition preparation list to find out what costumes and other items you need to bring to the competition!
- Team closet: If you don’t own all the costume items listed in the competition preparation list, don’t worry! The team closet contains many leotards, skirts and dresses you can borrow for OSB! There is also a limited amount of men’s competition gear available to borrow which is not listed on the closet page, contact Corey (cgkflynn) for more details. Lots of people on the team have spare competition items so you can also try asking someone at newcomer lesson or posting in the team Facebook group if you’re looking for things to borrow.
- Costume rules: The costuming rules for OSB are a little different than for other competitions, so if you are dancing Pre-Bronze, Bronze or Silver please read this extract from the rulebook: There are no costumes allowed in Newcomer, Bronze or Silver. No reflective material, sequins, rhinestones, etc. Fringe is fine. No jewelry with light reflective qualities, including earrings necklaces, bracelets, etc. No gloves or floats.
- TBA dancing: If you’re a lead, you can win extra points for the team by dancing two extra events with a girl from another school who doesn’t have a partner (in addition to the eight events you’ll be dancing with your partner from Michigan). Lizzie will be coordinating TBA dancers at OSB, so please reach out to her (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or are very strongly opposed to dancing TBA. Otherwise, you may be contacted during the competition with requests to TBA 🙂
Feeling sleepy after winning Nationals in 2016!
- Karaoke social! After newcomer lesson on Saturday we’ll be making a team trip to Friends Karaoke on Church Street for an evening of team bonding through singing, starting at 8pm! We have a private room reserved for our group, but spots are limited and will be first come first served. Make sure you complete the interest form and pay $4 to the team ASAP (using any of the payment methods listed above), and at the latest before the deadline on Tuesday at 11.59pm to reserve your spot! If you don’t pay on time we can’t guarantee we’ll be able to fit you in last minute 🙁
- Apparel is here! If you ordered apparel this semester it’s now ready for collection! You can collect your apparel from Grace at these three times this week:
- Monday November 11th, 9.30-10pm in the League Ballroom (also 9pm at the Bronze American lesson at Steve and Susan’s studio!)
- Tuesday November 12th, 9-11pm in CCRB 3275
- Wednesday November 13th, 9.30-11.30pm at DTS
If neither of these times works for you, please contact Grace directly (gkraimer) to arrange an alternative collection time. Please note that it is your responsibility to collect your apparel, we won’t chase you down if you don’t pick it up 🙂
- Final Bronze American lesson! The lesson will be on Monday November 11th, 7-9pm at Steve and Susan’s studio and is open to anyone on A-PreC teams. You don’t have to attend with your regular partner, and you can still attend even if you forgot to sign up last week 🙂
6-11pm: Open practice in the League Ballroom! This is the last time we’ll have the ballroom before OSB, so come and practice your standard! Collect your apparel 9.30-10pm!
7-9pm: Bronze American lesson (open to A-PreC teams)
No DTS, come to the League instead!
9-10pm: Short newcomer review lesson! Confused about quickstep? Befuddled by jive? Come and review what Steve and Susan taught on Saturday and hopefully you’ll be less confused! Also, collect your apparel!
10-11pm: Competition hair and makeup workshop in CCRB 3275! Corey and Colin will show you how to do your hair and makeup for OSB! Please bring hair styling products and makeup if you own them so you can practice 🙂
10pm-midnight: Open practice at DTS
11.59pm: Deadline to sign up/pay for karaoke social!
9.30-11.30pm: Open practice at DTS. Collect your apparel!
9-11pm: Newcomer supervised practice – review all the dances we’ve covered so far, get some tips for competition success and get your questions answered to prep for OSB!
10pm-midnight: Open practice at DTS
Only one week until we’ll be driving to OSB! Make sure you’ve planned out your costumes to avoid last minute stress 🙂
Good luck to everyone competing at Purdue!
4.30-6pm: Newcomer lesson with Steve and Susan! Returning members, this is a great opportunity to practice your basic technique ready to impress the judges at OSB…
8pm: Team karaoke social at Friends Karaoke on Church Street!
|5-6pm:||Advanced International Rumba|
|6-7pm:||Beginner Quickstep <- Newcomers come to this one to get more help with your quickstep!|
There’s a lot of people on this team, to help you get to know everyone we’ve made a handy guide to who’s on which team, so you know who to cheer for at OSB! Check out B-team below! Newcomers, if you have questions these are the people to ask 🙂
Natalie and Mitchell
Natalie is a junior studying architecture. She is also the Away Comp Chair!
Mitchell is a junior majoring in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology.
Megan and Trey
Megan is a senior studying civil engineering.
Trey is a senior studying electrical engineering.
Alex and Christine
Alex is a senior double majoring in Math and Physics.
Christine is a graduate student studying Medicinal Chemistry.
Josh and Erin
Josh is a senior studying computer science.
Erin is a senior majoring in Biology, Health, & Society.
Esti and Lauren
Esti is a senior studying computer science.
Lauren is a junior studying biomedical engineering.
Jack and Emily (not pictured)
Jack is a senior double majoring in Political Science and Communication & Media.
Emily is a senior studying philosophy.