1/14/19 Week at a Glance
Who’s that mysterious girl? If you’re lucky you might spot her at our Welcome Week events this week!
Hope you had a good first week of classes, and it was great to see so many of you at our first newcomer lesson on Saturday! Here’s our announcements for this week:
- It’s time for tryouts, get hype!!! See the separate email I sent for more details on what tryouts are and how to sign up. If you have never participated in tryouts before, I highly encourage it! Tryouts are a great learning experience and you can only gain from participating, as you’ll have a chance to win a spot on one of our tryout-only teams and benefit from smaller class sizes, more personal attention from our coaches, and the chance to learn way more about dancing than we can cover in newcomer lessons – who doesn’t want to learn some fun advanced moves or how to fix that infuriating step in the foxtrot? The deadline to sign up is 11.59pm on Tuesday, January 15th. Note that both partners must read the doc and complete the sign-up form.
- More tryouts: Reminder that you must pay your $60 winter semester dues and settle any outstanding debts you owe to the team from last semester by Thursday in order to try out: check your inbox for Clara’s spreadsheet to find out if you owe any money. DUES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED THE DAY OF TRYOUTS
- Recruitment help needed! Our greatest asset is our wonderful current team members who welcome newbies and convey their infectious enthusiasm for dance! Winter semester recruitment mostly happens through word of mouth, so your participation is especially important 🙂
Here’s how you can help:
Step 1: Share our Welcome Week events on Facebook and invite all your friends here.
Step 2: Sign up to help out for an hour or two at Winterfest on Monday here.
Step 3: Attend our welcome week events on Tuesday and Saturday (details below) to cheer on your friends performing their showcases and dance with the newcomers and tell them why ballroom is the best club on campus!
- MichComp committee: It takes a village to put on an event as spectacular as MichComp, and our lovely Home Comp chair Anna is seeking some dedicated volunteers to assist with tech, logistics and advertising! You can find more info and sign-up here (the deadline to sign up is Monday 1/21 at 11.59pm)
- Competitions this semester: Competition season is fast approaching so take note of the upcoming deadlines listed below. Look out for emails from Fabi for links for registration/rooms and rides. Returning members please note that OSU will not be at the usual mid-February time this year, so if you want to get a comp in before Arnold the two comps below are your only options 🙂
ValpoComp (January 26th)
Registration deadline: January 22nd
MSU (February 2nd)
Registration deadline: January 19th (this Saturday)
- More competitions: Please fill out this poll if you’re interested in attending Arnold this year, so Fabi can get an accurate head count for hotel rooms.
4.30-7pm: Help us recruit the next generation of the MBDT by flyering at Winterfest!
9.30-11.30pm: Open Practice at DTS. Please note Studio A will be used for showcase practices 11.10-11.30pm
9-11pm: Free Welcome Week lesson/showcases!!!
No DTS, come to our Welcome Week event instead!
10pm-midnight: Open Practice in the League Ballroom! We can only get this space a few times per semester, so come and practice your standard!!!
No DTS, come to the League instead!
9-10pm: Practice rounds for tryouts in CCRB 3275
10-11pm: Open practice in CCRB 3275
10-12pm: Open practice at DTS
Only one day until tryouts…
2-2.30pm: Warm up for tryouts in CCRB 3275
2.30-4.30pm: TRYOUTS in CCRB 3275! Dance your hearts out and don’t forget to cheer on your fellow teammates! Best of luck to everyone!
4.30-6pm: Free newcomer lesson in CCRB 3275, with Steve and Susan!!! Wear your apparel, dance with the newcomers and tell them all about how awesome ballroom is!
Club is in the League Ballroom this week, check out their website here for more info.
||International Waltz 3
||American Rumba 2
Best of luck at tryouts everyone!